Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Never a Dull Moment (10... 9... 8...)

We now have less than 8 weeks to go until my Cesarean, which we are working to get scheduled on September 1 so we can keep our OB of choice.  In the meantime, things have gotten... interesting... 

On Monday morning, I got a call from one of my OBs telling me that the results of my blood test came back and that my platelets took another dive, making it necessary for me to see a hematologist. The OB explained that my platelet count had dropped 17,000 every 2 weeks for the last 4 weeks and that it was now below 75,000, which is the cut-off point at which the hospital will do an epidural/spinal. (A normal range, apparently is 250,000-150,000 and I had been warned in the past that if the numbers dipped below 100,000 I'd be started on steroids). He said if my platelets stayed this low, I would have no choice but to go to sleep for the Cesarean, which is somewhat reassuring in that Michael and I already made the decision to go with all the advice we've been given and deliver Noah under general anesthesia in September... at least we made the decision and aren't being "forced" into it by any means...

So today Michael and I went to the hematologist, where they did a platelet count on the spot. The test came back showing 98,000 on one look and 100,000 on another and the doctor said my platelets will need to be monitored.  So, long story short, I will be going to the hematologist once a week for the remainder of my pregnancy. The doctor said they would not start steroids (thank goodness!) unless the numbers dip below 50,000, but that if my platelets remain below 100,000, I will need a transfusion when I deliver Noah.  So... my schedule just got busier, it seems... I will be doing a LOT of driving to Fairfax in the not too distant future, but with less than 8 weeks to go, it will hopefully fly!

Other than that, the most recent blood work also showed that I am slightly anemic, which at least explains why I have been feeling so tired and dizzy again... I have not felt up to swimming anymore sad to say.  I miss having that energy but hopefully it will come back soon.

In the meantime, M and I are house-sitting/dog-sitting in South Riding at our friend Sherry's so traveling to the doctor was certainly made a lot easier this week. I am grateful for that.  Noah, of course, is very active.  I am getting more and more anxious to meet him.  

Won't be long now! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I think little boys like to give their mommies a hard time during pregnancy. With all the issues I had with Tyler and the issues Chrissy had with Aiden I'm seeing a pattern. I'm glad to hear they are just monitoring you at this point. That is a positive sign. Hang in there, these next 8 weeks are going to FLY by!

    ReplyDelete