Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Brief Update

The second trimester is quickly winding down and some all-too-familiar issues from the first trimester have begun rearing their ugly heads' again. It's like bad de ja vu! Meanwhile, I am trying to adapt to all the changes I have undergone over the past 6 months as I learn more and more about Noah's personality and count down to his due date (less than 95 days!).  

Carrying around a basketball sized stomach has not been an easy task.  My respect for all the women who have done this before me grows daily. The "basketball" seems to get heavier everyday as my belly grows and stretches beyond what I think it can bear.  There are times where I wish I could just take it off and set it aside for a while just so I can sleep a few hours.  Sleeplessness has become unavoidable to me. Everyone says things to me like "oh you haven't seen anything yet," or "Just wait another month."  This is not comforting. My husband's confession that he has never seen such a big belly on pregnant woman at this stage also does not help much.... but is always good for a laugh. I can use a lot of those these days!

Vanessa's birthday party went well in spite of my being laid up so I cannot complain.  There was a lot of smiles and laughter that day all around!



My visit with my family also went very well. It was so good to be on my feet and out of the house!  We were able to walk around Harper's Ferry for a short while before a torrential downpour sent us on our way home...


In spite of all the drawbacks, pregnancy certainly has its perks! Noah moves everyday and always manages to crack me up when I most need it (he and his dad share that gift). The other night I cooked dinner for my in-laws and grandparent-in-laws (a labor of love!) and slid into my seat. As soon as I sat down, relieved to take a rest, Noah began kicking the table. He continues letting me know when he wants something out of his way, which is basically anything I come in contact with, with my stomach. What a funny baby.  I have also been getting past the shock of seeing Noah curled up on one side of my belly.  It is the strangest thing to see it get so high and weird-shaped on one side and so flat on the other. These moments make it all worth it!

In the meantime, I have entered nesting mode in high gear, in which I am now consumed with coming up with cost-effective ideas on how to make the perfect nursery space for Noah. I thought I'd end this post by sharing a sneak preview.... I'm very excited about it so far! (I'm a dork, I know... but I just can't wait to bring my baby home.)


1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! The nursery that is! :-) I am sure you are tired of hearing everyone say "oh you haven't seen anything yet," or "just wait another month." I know I am guilty of saying it and I remember hating hearing it. As uncomfortable as you maybe feeling right now, our bodies do amazing things to adapt to pregnancy. Every time I thought it was impossible for my belly to get any bigger or my skin to stretch anymore it did. It is so worth it in the end and honestly all the discomfort and lack of sleep now is just preparing you for when Noah arrives. I never understood that one either when I heard it, but it is totally the truth and you'll understand soon enough. A few months of sleeplessness and discomfort is preparing you for a lifetime of love!

    ReplyDelete