Thursday, May 28, 2009

Updates and Some Good News

So, I am writing this from my OB's waiting area where I am awaiting a second blood glucose test. Fun! I still have some pretty nasty bruises from what the phlebotomist at Loudoun did to me, so it should be interesting to figure out where they are going to get this blood from in thirty minutes. Apparently, the office did the test too early at my last routine appointment and they need to check my platelet count, as it has been low on the last two tests. From what the doctor said, there will be a lot more blood tests in my future.... and if my platelets dip any further down than what they were at my visit last week, they will have to start me on steroids. We are hoping it doesn't come to that...  In the short term, I am hoping that the phlebotomist here is more competent than the one I encountered last week.

So on to the important stuff... (and the good news)... my OB disagrees with the OB from Loudoun and does not think I need to be on bed rest. Praise God! (And I do.)  However, I am still on restriction from certain activities, which is not so thrilling. Nevertheless, I will be able to live life normally for the most part and that makes me happy... especially because at this moment, my family is on their way from N.Y. (lost in D.C.). Guess I will be able to go to the Carter's Outlet with them this afternoon after-all!  

My OB called what happened pre-term contractions (a little different from Braxton Hicks and not pre-term labor, which is what the OB doc told me) but said that the most important thing is that my cervix was completely closed so until further notice, I can cease worrying. That is very good news indeed.  She also told me that her best advice to me was that I never go to either of those hospitals again and next time get to Fairfax where one of my doctors can see me.  Note taken (not that I needed to be told that!).

To end off on a funny note: When my OB put the fetal doppler on my belly today, Noah kicked her and then proceeded to run away from her all over my belly as she chased him back and forth for a few minutes. This is his new thing now. He does not want anything touching my belly. At the ER, when they had the monitor attached to my belly to chart my contractions, he kicked it repeatedly. When I go to bed at night and finally get comfortable, he begins kicking the side of my belly that is touching the bed. And today, on the way over, he was kicking my seatbelt.  I find it really comical that my nutty baby doesn't just move to the other side, but rather, tries to get rid of whatever is inconveniencing him at the moment.  So funny how I am already learning so much about him...

Thanks so much for all your prayers.
Nan<3

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news Nan! I am so happy to hear that. Seeing your own doctor is definitely important whenever you deal with an episode like this. They know your history and when you see a doctor that doesn't know anything about you, I think they tend to air on the side of caution and take worse case senario to cover there butts. HAVE A GREAT TIME AT CARTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog on Baby Center and am now following you! I love this post-it is great! I am glad your appt went well. I love the story about Noah kicking everything! Too cute! May God continue to bless you and Noah and have fun shopping!!

    ReplyDelete