Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Recent Scare and Another Glimpse of Baby

Contrary to conventional wisdom, the 2nd trimester has not brought relief from the morning sickness that began in the 1st. In many ways, it has gotten worse as time has passed – though, I must say, I have gotten much better at dealing with it and staying positive in spite of it. So far, little of my experience has been aligned with all of what I was told would and should happen. The most recent example was a scare over the past few days, which ultimately brought a huge blessing when Michael and I were able to get another glimpse of baby girl or boy Luns yesterday afternoon.
On Thursday night, some issues arose that caused the doctor on call to warn me of a possible late miscarriage. I was expecting the doctor to reassure me and tell me that everything happening was completely normal and not to worry, but to no avail. Nothing could have prepared me for this suggestion or possibility. Again -- conventional wisdom says it’s very rare this late in the game and I have had a peace throughout the last few months that everything is and will be OK that was shaken by the nonchalant way the doctor voiced her opinion. Needless to say, I was extremely upset – not to mention in terrible pain, which was not improved by getting worked up. Michael did an amazing job in keeping me as calm as possible until the next morning when we were able to go to the OB to get a better idea of what was going on. Sadly, I fell asleep while he was praying over the baby and me, but his prayers obviously worked, as I was able to sleep through the night for the first time in a long time without waking up from crazy nightmares. I needed that extra rest to prepare for the day we’d have yesterday.

First thing the next morning we were at the OB. We immediately heard the baby’s heartbeat, which was strong and perfect as it has been each time we’ve heard it. The doctor (my regular OB) reassured me that this was a great sign, but after examining me he still had some questions and so he referred me for an emergency ultrasound to make sure everything was OK. At this point, his thoughts were that perhaps the placenta had detached at some point... though all signs pointed to it being in tact given the heart rate was normal and there were no signs of distress. And so we spent the day in waiting for hours until we could get in to have the test.

Ultimately, the ultrasound technician was not able to tell us much, though she did suggest that it could be a “low lying placenta” causing the problem and her only hypothesis about the pain I was feeling was that it was either contractions (which are normal at this stage of the game) or perhaps some effects from my endometriosis which was always a pain (literally) in the past. The technician suggested that the fact that the radiologist was faxing the report to my doctor and not calling him was a good sign. Nevertheless, now all we can do is wait for my next routine prenatal this Monday morning to get the results. Only a few more days…

In any event, Michael and I got to see our little baby move around for the first time yesterday. The baby at first laid still and looked like it was hiccupping and twitching but after a while, it started to move its arms and legs and flail around. By the end of the test, it looked like it was dancing!



This test was two-dimensional so some of the images were not quite as precious as those we saw on the last ultrasound.



It was nice to have a laugh though in the midst of all our worry. The technician said that baby was measuring a week ahead and that she would give her opinion on the gender – but by then the baby had gone from sitting in what she called “Indian style” to laying with its legs crossed. I joked with Michael that that must mean it’s a girl as it was sitting very lady-like. Only God knows…

So the long story short (and I guess this has become a little longer than I would have liked) is that we are back where we started… waiting… but a little reassured that everything will be OK. It’s all in God’s hands and we are blessed to have so many people praying for us. Thanks again.

Nan<3

"Consider it pure joy... whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 2-4

"For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment