Thursday, April 30, 2009

Noah <3's Yertle!

Noah is very slowly but surely learning that his mommy is a bit of a nerd! I just explained that to him a moment ago while he was kicking around in my belly. (He still is!) It's better that he finds that out now :)

Last night, I was SO bored and tired of thinking about mediation finals and motions for summary judgment that I decided to take the advice I'd read on baby center now that I know my little one can hear me... and so I read to Noah.  

I sat in Noah's empty nursery on the glider and ottoman I got dirt cheap at a yard sale and pulled out the copy of "All the Places You'll Go" that Michael got me when I started law school and I read to my baby for the first time. (A nerd... and a corn dog, what can I say?) I'm sentimental...

Noah must have been sleeping because I didn't get much of a response from him, and I doubt that ANYONE with a pulse can avoid responding with joy to anything written by Dr. Seuss! So
 later last night I read to him again but once again there was little response. Maybe he is just not a fan, I thought. Maybe the words were too big for him. haha :)

Well just now as I was sitting drafting my motion, I felt Noah hiccuping and starting to stir and I decided I wasn't giving up so easily! And I thought of a Dr. Seuss character who had that same philosophy (much to his own detriment!) I looked up Yertle the Turtle, my ultimate favorite Dr. Seuss classic and I found the text online and read it to him. (Did I mention I once had a turtle name Myrtle because she liked to be up high like Yertle and kept falling? Yes... definitely a corndog...)

As I was reading, Noah kicked around and moved the whole time! (He still is!) When I was done reading it to him I told him it was not the last of Seuss he'd hear. I couldn't see for sure but I bet he was smiling, granted he has the necessary facial muscles at this point, which I doubt. I'm sure he was on the inside (no pun intended lol).  I have big plans to try and collect them all for him. And then I explained that mommy is a little bit of a nerd which he would find out soon and that I would be reading to him a lot in person someday when I could see him face to face. He kicked me when I said that and I just looked down at my belly and wished I could see him in there. It's such a strange thing to see all this movement and try to envision what is going on beneath the surface.

For now, this will have to be enough :) 

I can't wait to meet him!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post! You aren't a nerd, you are a just a very proud momma that wants her little man to enjoy story time! You'll cherish every moment when he's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this post! You aren't a nerd, you are a just a very proud momma that wants her little man to enjoy story time! You'll cherish every moment when he's here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this post! You aren't a nerd, you are a just a very proud momma that wants her little man to enjoy story time! You'll cherish every moment when he's here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, Nan. Maybe Noah was so quiet because he was listening to the soothing sound of his momma's voice. :-)

    I am so happy for y'all!!!!

    God's Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy ~ Very sweet... Me thinks that Noah will be one lucky kid! I hope you are going to celebrate on Sunday (this year) TOO? I mean of course for yourself mommy! ~ jb///

    ReplyDelete