Saturday, August 29, 2009

Noah's First Trip to the Doctor

After getting in so late last night and getting only a few winks of sleep, Michael and I decided that I should try to get my appointment for Noah rescheduled to a time when we could go together, as he had to work. I called as early as I could and was talked into coming in, so I literally had five minutes to get both of us ready to go. My mother in law said she would drive us, as I am not permitted to drive for the next two weeks. And so together, we got Noah loaded up into his car seat, which was no easy task -- especially given the fact that Noah was incredibly hungry and not at all in the mood to deal with my inability to work a four-point harness.

Oh, how I wished I had made the time to read the instruction manual! (I had to call both Michael and Chrissy at two separate points today to figure out how to get him in and out!) While my mother-in-law worked on figuring out the set up, I fed Noah for a few minutes and then we got him situated. Given the time limits, Noah's outfit was far from color coordinated for his first appointment since the hospital! Fortunately, my quick feeding did help Noah to fall asleep and he was very calm for his visit. Fortunately, this was not one of those visits where baby gets poked or prodded very much and gets all worked up. I was very glad.

He did, however, react very unfavorably to being undressed and weighed and he dirtied his diaper in response.


So, here are the "stats" on our little guy:

- Noah now weighs 7lbs, 3oz., which is a big relief given that he dropped to below 7lbs. in his first days of life. Our all night "feeding frenzy" and scheduled feedings over the last two days seems to have done the trick! The doctor recommended that I continue breastfeeding and said that there was no reason at all for me to supplement with (evil) formula. lol - sorry I really am very into this whole breastfeeding/bonding thing and the thought of having to use that stuff ever again makes me a little crazy :) Who ever would have guessed?

- Noah is a little jaundiced and the doctor told me it was nothing to worry about and that I should put him by a window inside and let him be in the sun for a little bit if the weather improved today, which I did as soon as we got home.

- In all other ways, Noah is as perfect as he looks and so far I haven't done anything too terribly wrong as far as she could tell. (I just assumed that last one. :) She did tell me to keep up the good work!

I shall surely try!

No comments:

Post a Comment